Friday, March 19, 2010

Story Within A Story's Story

This blog is about one man who lived in the town I now live in. He did wood engravings. He was from Carrollton, Missouri. The clippings I have found at the library say he took up xylography on his own. His artist life seemed to be isolated. Was it really all by himself???? Or, was he aware of the new wave of art which was being birthed across America???? This is one thread.

Another fellow who left no paper trail about himself left a BIG IMPRINT on the art scene with the Woodcut Society he founded. With no internet, no computers, no technology, he brought a variety of modern wood engraving into many places. When the Woodcut Society prints were presented to the Nelson-Adkins Museum in Kansas City, FIVE OF FRED GEARY'S WOOD ENGRAVINGS were among the 212 examples. (McKenna, George,
Prints 1460-1995: The Collections of the Nelson-Adkins Museum of Art, 1996, p.269) How did H. Alfred Fowler meet Fred Geary??? This is one thread.

Did Geary interact with any of the artists represented by the Woodcut Society???? Some twenty-seven artists from four foreign countries.
This is one thread.

Together, these threads hold my interest.

I am a teacher who helps students master math
and reading. I am a painter of acrylics. I once did pen-and-ink illustrations for my high school yearbook. I have done editorial cartoons, murals, some self-publishing, and enjoy promoting the art of my friends. How did a no-name grain broker further the print scene so well??? I belong to some art clubs. Did Geary enjoy the company of other artists also???? Could the art left behind by some dead guy find renewed respect today????

As this blog proceeds forward, I wanted to frame it for you, my reader.
Please share any links you find relevant to my quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment